Gifted Identification Process
General screening to admit students to the candidate pool is conducted each fall of each year. Screening includes the Otis Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT; administered in the spring of 2nd grade), Star Reading and Math Assessments, and Standards of Learning (SOL) Assessments.
Alternatively, students can be directly referred to the candidate pool any time during the school year prior to March 1st. A referral can be made by anyone that knows the student: Parent, Teacher, Other School Professional, Peer, or Self.
When making a referral, the referring person should look for characteristics of gifted students. School personnel should review the cumulative folder for test data and prior referrals.
Referral forms are located in the guidance office of each school.
Steps followed once a referral is made:
1. Obtain parental consent to evaluate
2. Conduct evaluations and gather data
3. Hold Identification/Placement Committee meeting
4. Notify parents and obtain consent to place
5. Develop a Plan for Educational Differentiation (PED)